Among the different biometric modalities like fingerprint, finger vein, palm vein, facial, etc. retinal scan is one of the most reliable ones. Retinal security scan has proven its capability in implementing reliable biometric security protocols in various high-risk sectors like border patrol and aviation. Retinal scan authentication is a complex mathematical pattern. It is a technique that identifies the unique eye patterns of an individual.
HOW IT WORKS
Retinal scanning is based on the fine capillary network that provides oxygen and nutrients to the retina. It works by casting an unperceived beam of low-energy infrared light into an individual’s eye as they place it close to the scanner. The beam of light travels in straight path and hits your retina gently. The blood vessels then absorb light and can easily be visualized with the appropriate lighting. It requires a close distance between the eyes and a scanner. The appropriate position of eyes toward the scanner is also necessary. And, there must be no eye movement such as blink or glance.
Once the scanner captures a retinal image, the software compiles all the unique features of the network of retinal blood vessels (capillaries). The scanner then generates a micro sized template which helps in detecting the authentic access. Only an enrolled person can be identified with a retinal scan after acclimating to the process.
ACCURACY WHILE USING A RETINAL SECURITY SCAN
The characteristics of the retinal scan are significantly unique for each individual and can be recognized from placing an eye close to the scanner. That’s why it is much more challenging to fool as compared to other biometric techniques, false acceptance rate and the false rejection rate is remarkably low. In this way, it has become the most secure authentication technology which has been successfully used in various fields.
This technology inspects the complex mathematical patterns of an individual’s eye which are significantly unique for each. A comprehensive study on biometric authentication found that the false rejection rate of retinal security scanning is only 1.8% which is the lowest among all other biometric security methods.
Even with this low rate of rejection, there are some things that can effect this technology. Although the pattern of capillary blood vessels of the retina stay the same, some conditions like diabetes, glaucoma, and cataracts can change this pattern. This makes retinal scan technology less suitable for use in offices or any other place.
MERITS OF RETINAL SECURITY SCAN SYSTEM
- Retinal scanners do not require as much computer memory as other biometrics scans.
- It delivers accuracy and offers very low false acceptance and rejection rate. Unlike voice recognition systems, these scanners do not get distracted by the noises in the background or change in the frequency of voice caused by illness.
- It is highly scalable for any size of a project. The retinal security scanning technology has been deployed in many government projects like national ID or immigration as well as in healthcare sectors.
- An individual’s retina can be scanned from a close distance which ensures hygiene factor, unlike fingerprint scanning where you have to place your fingers on the device.
- The retinal security scanning is extremely difficult to be forged because of the uniqueness of the patterns. As a result, even with its disease related drawbacks, it still assures the highest level of security and become the most reliable biometric authentication system.
- The scanner detects the movement of an individual’s eye which requires the subject to stay conscious. In case of a fraudulent act where the subject is unconscious, the authentication will fail to suspect the threat.
- If an individual is already enrolled in the biometric system then the retinal security scanning could be the quicker way of authentication than others because of its faster encoding time.
- Decision making and encoding are tractable in retinal security scanning because the image analysis and encoding time of the scanner is only 30 milliseconds. The retinal scan technology allows quick verification of the identity and therefore it saves time.
- You don’t need to master any skills to cross a retinal scanner. All you need to do is stand in front of the camera and you are good to go. It offers user-friendly features.
- All individuals possess distinctive characters and the pattern or iris and retina stays constant over time. That is why Retinal scans are unique because they include a characteristic that cannot be falsely claimed.
- It is hard to deceive this technology and the retinal scanning machine conveys accurate results and collects data easily.
FUTURE OF RETINAL SCAN
Retinal scans are expected to associate with the high-tech used in health care centers. A medical institute in Ireland is already examining the retinal scanning machine to improve security in the medication process of diabetic patients.
Also you will be able to withdraw money and make transactions in seconds with the help of retinal scanning machine. It won’t only specifically assist people in the health care industry but will also help in financial, trading, mobile tech and film industries.
Retinal security scanning is a smart security system as compared to others and it is pretty accurate to use in your organization.